Monday, May 16, 2011

My writing so far…

OK, so if you’re here you must be wondering about my writing right? Well I sincerely hope so otherwise you’ve come to the wrong place my friend. The blog for the famous sumo wrestler Joseph Humphreys is 712 blogs to your right.

I write for young adults. My first novel, provisionally entitled Falling out of Reach, follows the fortunes of a 16-year-old girl, Melissa, in the aftermath of the suicide of her elder sister, Isabelle. Melissa (or ‘Lissy’) and her parents move to a new town to make a brand new start. In her new school, Lissy is beset by bullies, and becomes embroiled in a love triangle. But she does make a very good friend in the popular, kind, but very friendly Becca. However, just as things are beginning to look up, a policeman shows up with distressing news about what Izzy was up to in the last few months of her life. And at school, Becca inexplicably starts to pretend that Lissy doesn’t exist…

At the moment, I’m cautiously excited as my manuscript for Falling out of Reach is currently with a publisher. I did admittedly enjoy some good fortune to get it there (friend of a friend and all that). And just because it’s there, it doesn’t mean I’m guaranteed to go places with it. But I have faith in it, and enough people like it, including people I’ve never met, to make me think…just maybe. Let’s see.

The novel I’m currently writing has the working title of Leah. Leah is the object of Kyle’s desire: he is utterly smitten with her from the moment he meets her. Kyle views Leah as a means of helping him escape his seemingly hopeless circumstances, which have excluded him from school and seen his family fall apart around him. But hanging out with Leah, who has a troubled background of her own, has its own consequences. And soon, Leah drives Kyle into committing a terrible deed…

You can tell that I don’t deal with lighthearted subject matter. Dark, edgy stories may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I write for real young adults with real young adult issues. I also feel my stories have crossover appeal. They may feature teenage protagonists, but the issues they deal with and situations I put them in can be applied to us all.

Other ideas I have on the back burner are a couple of YA historical novels (one set during WWII, the other in the Wild West), a possible series of adventure books aimed at a younger audience, and a couple more contemporary YA novels.

So that’s me. Look forward to hearing from anyone who’s interested.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    I see you are following in the footsteps of Phillip Larkin (in terms of the fact you are a librarian) and hopefully you will emulate his success as well! I spotted you on Litopia by the way! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thanks for being my first blog contributor! I see that my Litopia membership has paid dividends. To reach the heights of Larkin are dizzy heights indeed. Here's hoping ;)

    ReplyDelete