Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Fellow YA author Emma Pass (ACID, out from Random House Children's in 2013) has tagged me to take part in a blog hop this week, The Next Big Thing. I'm going to chat about my WIP, though have been pretty bad and not able to tag five fellow authors to follow up on this next week. Oops.
 
Well, here it is anyway. Hope you find something to amuse or entertain!

1) What is the working title of your book?

GUN STREET GIRL
 

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
From seeing a suspicious encounter on a back alley in the heart of the City of London between a teenage girl and a cannon ball head man.


3)What genre does your book fall under?
Contemporary YA.


4) Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
For the MC, perhaps the girl who's the new Dr Who assistant. For the antagonist, Tom Waits!  

 
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Seventeen year old Yasmin has a gun and isn't afraid to use it; not since she found out what her father's 'business' was really about, and those three men came to her house and broke her fingers with a hammer...

6)Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I have an agent, but she's currently subbing my debut. This is what I'm working on to distract myself from the nerves associated with the submission process.

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I'm currently working on it. The idea is to do nanowrimo, and get 50k of it done by the end of November. Mopping up in December, I guess that makes it two months.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Anything dark and edgy, so we're talking Keith Gray, Kevin Brooks, Anne Cassidy, Melvin Burgess...very lofty company, mind you, and I've got much to learn before I can be mentioned in the same breath as these authors.


9) Who or What inspired you to write this book?

It's a story I want to tell, and as a reader it's the sort of story I want to read.


10) What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Despite it's pitch black plot, the MC Yas is a sassy, confident heroine with some entertaining inner monologues and one liners. Also, there's a heartbreaking twist (unless I change it) which almost makes me cry when I think about it...  

No comments:

Post a Comment