Sunday, February 17, 2013

Yes, I can be bothered!

Well, as you can see it's been a long, long time since I updated this blog. Again.

But, you know something, I'm not too upset by it and neither should you be (not that I'm expecting any of you are). There are so many blogs out there, with people feeling obliged to update it every few days to maintain their online 'presence'. Yeah, I get that, but I feel like I don't have the time to constantly read these blogs, let alone write them.

It's like Twitter. Are we really living in the digital age to the point we spend all our time online so that 140 character sized 'tweets' complete with hashtags are our new reality? It's almost like Baudrillard's theory of the simulacrum.

But anyway, that's a fancy way of saying I've been busy with a few things. Yep, writing is indeed one of them. Got a great idea for a new story, but it's very much in its gestation period so have been spending time working on the outline and thinking about it. Stopping and thinking is very underrated in our instant gratification times. You should try it some time.

Other things of note:

  • Terry Deary has created quite the stir hasn't he? Whilst I believe he's wrong on so many levels, I do agree with him that it's unfair that he's been rather tarred and feathered for daring to be a lone authorial voice speaking out "against" libraries. There is such a thing as the 'tyranny of the majority' you know, which was the biggest issue I had with Rousseau's otherwise massively appealing philosophical arguments (sorry to be all philosophical today). I argued the case for libraries on this blog some time ago. What I'd like to add at this point is that Deary, like so many others before him, is equating "library" with "public library". What has he to say about other types of library I wonder?
  • I'm going to take the plunge and do voluntary work overseas this summer. Now THAT is a worthwhile thing to blog about. More details to follow in due course.
  • Cardiff are still top of the Championship: 8 points clear with a game in hand. Hoorah!
So yeah, when will I next update this blog? When I feel like it. I'll be sure to do it on something that's of potential use and interest to other people too!  

2 comments:

  1. "Stopping and thinking is very underrated in our instant gratification times." True!
    Look forward to more on the overseas voluntary work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katja - been provisionally accepted to do some this summer. Fingers crossed for the next part...

    ReplyDelete